Italian Inspired Chicken with Mushrooms & Tomatoes
- 4 large chicken cutlets (boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/4-inch thin cutlets)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, more for later
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 ½ cups mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
- 400gm (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of 1/2 lemon)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- Handful fresh basil (optional)
- Pat chicken cutlets dry. Season on both sides with 1/2 tbsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Coat the chicken cutlets with the flour; dust off excess. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron pan with a lid. Brown the chicken cutlets on both sides (3 minutes or so). Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- In the same pan, add more olive oil if needed. Add the mushrooms and saute briefly on medium-high (about 1 minute or so). Then add the tomatoes, garlic, the remaining 1/2 tbsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper, and 2 tsp flour. Cook for another 3 minutes or so, stirring regularly.
- Now add the white wine, cook briefly to reduce just a little; then add the lemon juice and chicken stock.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then add the chicken back to the pan. Cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for another 8 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and its internal heat registers a minimum of 165 degrees F.
- If you like, stir in a handful of fresh basil just before serving & a fine grating of parmesan cheese over the top. Enjoy hot with your favourite small pasta like orzo and a crusty bread!