Kumara, Potatoe & Cabbage Gratin
A heart warming winter side dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- small knob of butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds or ground cumin
- ½ small cabbage, thickly sliced
- 500 grams potatoes, peeled
- 800 grams mixed kumara, peeled
- 1 cup cream
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 100 grams grated cheese
- parmesan cheese, for grating
- sea salt and ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
Heat the oil and butter in a large sauté pan and cook the onion with a good pinch of salt for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin seeds and the cabbage and cook for 5 minutes until softened a little. Transfer to a large ovenproof baking dish.
Slice the potatoes and kumara about 1cm thick, add to the baking dish and stir everything together.
Whisk the cream, milk and mustard together and season. Pour over the top then scatter over the grate cheese and a good grating of parmesan.
Cover tightly with a piece of baking paper, then foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and cook for a further 30 minutes until the top is golden and the vegetables are tender.