Lemon Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- Himalayan salt
- 1 head fresh broccoli, stems and florets
- 6 Tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons, plus more for serving
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 500gm (1pkt) short pasta like Fusilli
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt generously. Add the broccoli and cook until crisp tender (about 3 to 4 minutes). Use a slotted spoon to transfer the broccoli to a large bowl of ice water. Do not discard the cooking water (you will use it to cook the pasta later). Drain the broccoli and dry on a paper towel.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the broccoli, 4 tbsp of the pine nuts, 1 1/2 cups of Parmesan, the basil leaves, and lemon zest and juice. Process until combined (about 30 seconds or so). Scrape down the sides of the bowl, cover and run the processor again. And while the processor is running, slowly stream in the extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the same pot of water back to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Return the drained pasta to the pot over medium-low heat. Add 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the reserved 1/4 cup of pasta water and cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese coats the pasta (about 1 minute).
- Remove from the heat and add about 1/2 of the broccoli pesto (or more to your taste). Toss to coat the pasta with the broccoli pesto. (Reserve extra broccoli pesto or freeze it for a later use).
- Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl. Top with the remaining Parmesan cheese, 2 tbsp pine nuts, and a little lemon zest. Garnish with a few basil leaves. Enjoy!