- 6 cups (1 1/2 litres) chicken stock, divided
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 450g portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 450g white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (280g) Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives or parsley
- 80g butter
- 1/3 cup (70g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, warm the stock over low heat.
- In another large saucepan warm 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to frypan and stir in the onions. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden colour, pour in wine stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup stock to the rice and stir until the stock is absorbed. Continue adding stock 1/2 cup (125ml) at a time, stirring continuously until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives or parsley and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.