ROASTED PARSNIP AND SPINACH SOUP
• 30g butter
• 2 tsp olive oil
• 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, sliced
• 1 tsp fresh thyme
• 1 tsp fresh rosemary
• 200g potato, peeled and chopped
• 200g parsnip - plus 100g extra to serve, peeled and sliced
• 1.5 litre vegetable stock
• 1 bunch spinach leaves, stalks removed and leaves rinsed
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Warm bread to serve
1. Melt the butter and olive oil together in a heavy-based soup pot.
2. Grate in nutmeg then add onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary, stir until soft then add potato and parsnip.
3. Stir for 3 minutes then add the stock, reduce and let cook gently for approximately 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
4. Fry extra parsnip rounds or grill on a hot plate until soft and golden, set aside.
5. Puree soup and season. Add spinach leaves. Serve topped with the extra parsnip rounds and a drizzle of olive oil.