Sumac pumpkin, caramelised onions and greens with roast garlic dressing
Roast Garlic Dressing Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, presoaked
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 heads of garlic
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan bake & line a small oven dish with baking paper.
- To roast the garlic, peel any loose papery layers from each head, leaving the cloves intact. Slice horizontally across the top of the heads to expose the tops of each individual clove. Place sliced sides up, on the prepared dish and bake for around 45mins or until heads are soft and brown. Once cooked, gently squeeze the cloves from their skin. They should slip out easily.
- Place the roasted garlic in a blender along with all the other ingredients and blend for about 30seconds or until smooth and creamy.
Can be stored in a jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- 800g pumpkin (butternut squash ect.) cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1tsp ground sumac
- 1/2tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2tsp fennel seeds
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 handfuls spinach, finely shredded
- handful kale, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 courgette, peeled into ribbons
- 1/2 cup frozen edamame beans, thawed
- 2tbsp hempseeds
- 1 1/2 cups roast garlic dressing
Caramelised Onions Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large red onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan-bake. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the pumpkin, sumac and fennel seeds into a large bowl. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and season to taste. Place on the prepared tray, along with any remaining spice mix and spread out evenly. Bake for about 45mins or until golden. Leave the oven on to toast the cashews.
- While the pumpkin cooks, make the caramelised onions. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes stirring frequently until very soft and beginning to caramelise. Add the vinegar and maple syrup, then reduce heat and continue to cook for 5 mins or until the onion is dark and caramelised.
- Place the cashews on a baking tray and spread out evenly. Bake for about 5-7mins or until golden.
- To serve, sprinkle a generous handful of spinach, kale & parsley on a large serving plate followed by some courgette ribbons, roast pumpkin, caramelised onions, edamame beans, cashews, hempseeds and a drizzle of the roast garlic dressing. Repeat this process a few more times to build layers with the remaining ingredients. Serve with any remaining dressing on the side.
Simple Wholefoods Cookbook